Thursday, September 23, 2010

Pathfinder

I have decided to use this blog to chart my journey into self-reliance. My work continues in a good direction, and that is good, but I want to write about what possesses me currently and that is survivability and self reliance. I have been a survivalist for a very long time, not the crazy eyed, shoot first, eat you later type, but the type that wants to always be ready for any situation and revels in being prepared for whatever shit hits whatever fan.

I have always loved the outdoors and being in nature is a natural thing for me. I have been hoping to attend a commercial survival school for quite some time and when I discovered Dave Canterbury and his Pathfinder School, I knew I had found my solution.

All the schools I had been monitoring and dreaming about were out in the desert Midwest and I really wanted to try something closer to my current home and in the environment I was used to; the eastern woodlands.

After seeing Dual Survivor on the Discovery Channel and doing some research on Dave Canterbury, I knew that I had found the right system and school for me.

I grew up camping and doing things outdoors. My brothers and I have spent many a time out and about in nature doing things like hiking, camping and hunting. I have always liked reeking of wood smoke and having dirt under my fingernails. I still marvel when someone asks me what poison ivy looks like as I thought that was the first thing you learned when you ventured into the outdoors.

I plan to chronicle my latest adventures into survivability and self reliance on these pages and maybe someone will actually read them.

Take care for now,
Joe

No comments: