Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Deep Thoughts when Sitting Alone in the Woods

I wrote this when I did a quick overnight out to Toms Run Shelter area a couple weeks ago.

I enjoy the solitude and revel in being "Outside".


I sit here at the table. Waiting for darkness to encroach. The rushing waters of Toms Run whisper their passing and there is a stillness that pervades the forest. The shelter is about 30 meters away. My hammock is behind me, awaiting my arrival. The air is cooling and I look to my merino, ready to dress for slumber. The sun dipped below yon mountain a while ago. Camp is set, dinner is et. I sit here in appreciation of where I'm lucky enough to be. The woods. The trail.

The overnight was pleasant. I was alone in the woods. The next day, when I was talking to some other hikers I came across down at the "Furnace", they said that Birch Run Shelter had about 20 or more people there. I was the lucky one that night.

Keep on Hiking
EarthTone

No comments: