Sunday, September 23, 2018

I'm Back

A Break From All Things Trail

When I finished Phase III of the Quest, I didn't know I would take an almost three month hiatus from writing here.  I knew when I finished Phase III at Rockfish Gap, that I had some things to take care of before I would embark on the final Phase of Pamola's Quest.  Namely, the problem with my shoulder.

I had a strong idea that I would need surgery and that I didn't want to take on the White Mountains of New Hampshire and southern Maine with torn tendons that wouldn't heal on their own.  I was right about needing surgery and I am now six weeks in on a long rehab.  

For now, Phase IV is tentatively scheduled for next summer.  I have a new pack and freshly sewn together tendons in my left shoulder and am doing the long rehab that will be needed to get me back into hiking shape.

When I finished up the final Push of Phase III back in June, I was happy to be done for awhile.  I was once again ready to do other things and enjoy the easy life of the Other World for a time.  I needed a break from all things Trail.

Autumn Arrives 

So, I sit here in my living room, looking out at the steady rain falling on this first day of fall.  Also a day that marks my 56th trip around the sun. I'm enjoying the rain and coolness of the morning.  As Ginger and I took our morning walk in the woods, I reveled in the rain and smell of the forest.  I'm starting to miss being out there again.  

I must admit that for some time after getting off trail, I didn't immediately have that craving I usually have to be out living in the woods, walking miles each day and eating trail food.  I was happy with a daily shower if I wanted one.  Being able to eat food that isn't dehydrated, but is fresh and refrigerated.  I liked to not have to find a privy or dig a hole to take a shit.  I was OK with having more than two changes of clothes, that were actually clean when I put them on in the morning.  

But today, I once again had that little itch in my mind, of being back on trail, as we walked through the dripping woods.

Surgery and Rehab

I fell coming down a muddy slanted trail back on May 22nd, just as we were finishing the first Push (Push 10) of Phase III of Pamola's Quest.  I continued to hike another three weeks and three more Pushes to successfully finish the Phase.  I knew it was something more than a strain, but found I could still hike and use my trekking poles.  Every once and awhile I would slip or stumble, reigniting the pain in my shoulder and each night was a challenge to fall asleep with the constant ache in the joint.  

I couple days after LoGear picked my up in Rockfish Gap, I was at the doctors.  An X-Ray, MRI and a couple more doctor visits and I had the confirmation of what I already knew and a surgery date scheduled.  

On August 16th, I went under the knife and am now about six weeks into recovery.  I was told that rehab will take several months and even though I see some progress each day, I still have some pain and am still not hike worthy as far as arm strength goes.  But I will get there.

New Packs

When we started the Phase down in Damascus at the beginning of Trail Days, I stopped by the Osprey booth to ask about our hip belt problem.  The Velcro wasn't holding in the belts and it would slip when you tightened the belt. I had done some field repair to keep it from moving and showed the guy at the booth.  He said we could get new packs if we send them in under the All Mighty Guarantee.  We sent them in on July 17th and they sent us two brand new Osprey Atmos 65s.  I'm once again questioning each of my gear choices and although I have no upgrades or change outs planned, I'm always looking to cut weight when I can.  Yesterday I put all my gear in the new pack and struggled it on my back.  It was a little painful getting it on, but once it was in place, it felt good.

Phase III Story

So now it is time to tell the story of Phase III.  Pushes 10 through 13.  393.7 miles, 29 days.  I hope to have that here in a few days.  I do feel like writing again and I have a story to tell.  It's good to be back.  

See ya soon,

EarthTone







No comments: