Sunday, May 29, 2011

A Memorial Surprise

This morning during our usual Sunday morning walk all was pretty much as usual. About three quarters of the way around the loop, Prince came bounding out of the woods from the west closely followed by Hawk the pup.

Ginger had her usual frenetic run around with the two dogs and it was a nice warm and humid morning. I was breaking a sweat just standing there watching them play.

We continued around and broke company at the last turn. Ginger likes to lay on the cool sand after a play session, so we relaxed in the shade on the sand trail exiting the forest for a few minutes.

As we were getting up to head out, I heard a noise in the woods to the right which would have been where Tony and the boys headed to their homes. At first I thought one of the dogs had come back to say a final good bye, but that wasn't the case. It was a yearling deer. Rather small, but healthy looking. It cautiously entered the path in front of us and I had hunkered down and grabbed Ginger's collar to ensure she didn't chase the youngster.

The doe (I guess) looked at us for a second then continued into either the briar patch in front of her or along the path into the neighborhood. I hoped for the former.

I heard some more brush noise off to our right and thought that was most likely the mother, but we never got a glimpse of any other critters. After a few more minutes we headed home with a story to tell.

Now this tract of land isn't the best of habitat for deer, but we have seen sign from time to time. I guess it is mostly a covered transit zone, since there is no water in the area and not much to eat right now.

It certainly was a treat to see and felt like a very magical moment. I really like our Schramm's Woods.

No comments: