Saturday, May 18, 2013

Heading South

It is 5:21 am. In a few hours, we load up the truck and start heading south. Our first destination today will be Damascus, VA to see what all the hoopla is all about for Trail Days. We have reservations for a room in nearby Bristol, VA for the night. To say I am anxious is accurate. 

So many things go through your head. Do we have everything? Will the "kids" be alright? Will Ginger hate us forever for not bringing her? These are the questions that wake you up at 0430. So you might as well get up and get going. 

I'm going over the daily "plan". I have no idea if we will be able to accomplish the daily miles I have figured out. The good thing is, we don't have to. We will do what we can do and it will all work out in the end. It always does on the trail. 

I will be trying to update on Postholer daily. I hope I am able to. It will probably be short, with little detail, but I will be taking written notes and will update here and the trailjournals.com page later. 

I will also most likely be recording every mile walked, whether it is white blaze, approach trail, blue blaze or road walk. Every step counts in this hike. Just ask my feet. The true AT miles will be recorded at the TJ site. 

So here we go. 

EarthTone 
http://postholer.com/jefe 
http://www.trailjournals.com/jefe

2 comments:

Fran Ubinger Beck said...

Bristol, VA!!! My sister Maura lives there! Had I known in advance, maybe I could have gotten you connected with her. Happy hiking!

EarthTone LoGear said...

We didn't really know we were going to stay there until the day before we left I think. I just thought it would be easier to get a hotel outside of Damascus and Bristol was close by. All was good.