Friday, July 19, 2013

Writing

For me, writing has always been a kind of catharsis.

Wow, that was deep.  I had to go look up that word after I wrote it to make sure I had it right.

Catharsis (from the Greek κάθαρσις katharsis meaning "purification" or "cleansing") is the purification and purgation of emotions through art.

Yeah, I think that fits.

I have been told by quite a few people that I have a way with words.  I glow in the complement until I read someone else's blog or novel or column and see that I have a long way to go.

But for me, I write to tell the story of my life.  The things I do and see.  The things I feel and hope for.  

I know hardly anyone reads this blog, but I feel an obligation to both of you who do.  :)

I have a few posts in the works, both on the hard drive and in my head.

I want to write about my recent visit to the AT Museum in Pine Grove Furnace State Park, PA.  I went up there to visit the museum (for the forth time) and look into the possibility of become its next Manager.

As the President of the AT Museum Society told me, it is "a lot of work for very little pay."  But I'm still very interested for some reason.  Anyone who knows me (or this blog), knows of my obsession with the Appalachian Trail.  To get involved with the trail at this level is something I have been dreaming of for awhile.  To get paid for it is just gravy, even if it might not be enough to buy gravy.

So that is one.

Another I have been thinking of is about front porch swings.  

It is still just an idea in my head, but it came to me when I was looking at a picture of my nieces new home.  Front porch swings have been in my life from the beginning.  I think I can write a little about it.

If that isn't too boring, another idea I have for a post is about how I have been spending my summer.

As a teaser, all I will say it that I haven't had a summer like this one since about 1976.  Stay tuned for details.

And thanks for reading.


No comments: