Sunday, October 7, 2018

Pamola's Quest - Push 10 - The Push to Atkins

On Trail Once Again

It was May 17th.  After a decent night in the Relax Inn, we all prepared to head out.  We waited for Miss Janet to arrive, talking to some other hikers who were also going to catch a ride down to Damascus for the festivities.  For us, our stay at Trail Days would be short.  We were heading out on purpose.  We wanted to get out on the trail while most others would be hanging out in town to celebrate the multi day festival.  

The ride down to Damascus was fun.  Miss Janet arrived around 10 or so and we stowed everyone's packs up on the roof. After picking up a few more at the nearby Walmart we were full.  We stopped at another Walmart and we all went in to get some last minute stuff. 

Loading all the packs on the famous Miss Janet's Bounce Box

20 minutes later we were at the edge of tent city.  We hefted our packs, said bye to Miss J and started walking towards the trail that runs through the small town of Damascus, VA.  Phase III had begun.

Starting point of Push 10, Damascus, VA

The Push to Atkins, VA (Push 10)

Push 9 was where I had left off last year in early June as I finished Phase I.  Push 10 would pick up from there.  This Push would be 75.8 miles and would take us six days to hike.  

Day 387 - 10.3 miles - Saunders Shelter
Day 388 - 12.3 miles - Whitetop Mountain Camp
Day 389 - 11.7 miles - Wise Shelter
Day 390 - 14.0 miles - Hurricane Creek Campground
Day 391 - 15.9 miles - Partnership Shelter
Day 392 - 11.6 miles - Atkins, VA

We made our way through town to the famous sign that north bounders see as they enter town.  We took a few photos and started walking.  The area was abuzz with people setting up their booths for the weekend.  I stopped at the ALDHA booth for a bit and talked to some friends, then moved on to catch up to LoGear and KJ.  There were already people everywhere.  

There was rain in the forecast, but we only experienced a couple short showers that hardly made their way through the leaf cover as we made our way out of Damascus and onto the ridge.  The Creeper Trail heads in the same direction for several miles and we paralleled it for a while.  Crossing it here and there and walking on it for a short way.

The Rhody was in full bloom

This was a rather short day and that was good, since we didn't get going until around 1300 or so.  The biggest challenge of the day was the series of switchbacks that took us up to where our shelter for the night was.  We counted 19 switchbacks over a two mile climb.

We got into camp and set up.  There were some nice trees behind the shelter and a few other hikers there.  They were all heading down into Damascus as we were heading away from it.  

We had our dinners and retired to our sleeping nests.  Our adventure had begun.

White Top Cloud Camping  

We were all up pretty early and had a leisurely breakfast and packed up. Today would be more rain.  Even though we didn't have rain the day before, the trail had a lot of running water on it, which kept our feet wet.  Today, we would have rain and our feet would spend their second day in a very wet state.  

KJ was out first, but after he left, we noticed two bags that were no ones still there.  They had some clothes in them and we figured out they were KJs.  I attached them to my pack and headed out.  I think they were some expensive base layers, that he would need that night. 

We walked through the morning rain and went into the next shelter for lunch. There were four hikers heading south who were just starting their day.  I guess they had been hoping for the rain to end, but no joy there.  They had a nice dog that became our friend as soon as we shared our lunch.

We hung out for about an hour and the rain finally let up and the sun came out.  We continued on to finish the day.  

The last part of the day had a 3000 foot climb and as we got to the top, the wind had become rather strong.  Visibility went to about 20 feet and the bite of the wind was cold.  Buzzard Rock was something we just had to work our way through.  You couldn't even hear each other talk unless you shouted.

We got to our campsite and found some sites.  The rain had picked up again, so we had to put up our hammocks first and we cooked dinner under there.  KJ stepped on one of my tent stakes and cut his foot.  This would bother him for the rest of the week. 

The rainy day had sapped all of our energy, so after getting some warm clothes on and some warm food into our bellies, we each headed to our hammock/tent and relaxed for the night.  

Sleeping in a cloud is a wet affair. In the morning, just about everything I had was wet or damp.  Even inside my hammock, stuff was wet from the condensation of the cloud.  


Ponies in the Rain

On the third day of the Phase, more rain was in the forecast, but there were also ponies in the forecast.  Both would deliver.   

It was a wet, drippy morning and I got packed up fast as I wanted to visit a rest room that was a few miles ahead at a parking lot.  I headed out first as the others finished up their morning routine and came along. 

I moved fast to the parking lot and used the facilities, what I call brown blazing. Since I figured I has some time to wait, I put a lot of my gear out in the strong breeze and sunshine to dry until LoGear and KJ showed up.  

Drying gear in the wind

Leaving the parking lot, we crossed some fields.  We were entering the Grayson Highlands, where the "wild" ponies lived.  Our plan for the day was to take a side quest to a general store where the owner comes and picks you up and will bring you back.  KJ decided at the break that he would continue to the shelter as he had enough food.

LoGear heading up the meadow

Beautiful yellow flowers all over the meadow

LoGear and I went ahead and soon
 came over a rise and saw ponies in the distance just as the rain started.  We still got to visit and pet a few, but the rain was constantly getting stronger.  As we climbed over the highest point of the day, it started to downpour with lots of lightning and thunder.  We were soaked through.

Ponies in the rain

Eventually the rain stopped and before long we were taking the
 blue blaze down to the parking lot.  We had no cell signal, but a ranger helped us out by calling for us.  We had an hour wait, so I asked two women who were heading out if they could give us a ride to the store.  15 min later we were ordering burgers and doing a small resupply.

We ate and hung out a while while our clothes dried and got a ride back to the trail by the owner.  We made our way to the shelter, which was full and found two spots.  When we were setting up, KJ found us.  

We helped a group hang their food bags, ate our dinners and hit the hay.  

In the morning, one of the hikers from the shelter, Fungi, was having trouble getting his full food bags down.  We gave him some advice and offered the use of my knife, but he was still struggling when we headed out.  He had actually tried to tie his lit camp stove to a stick and attempted to burn the snagged string.  We watched in anticipation of success or an explosion, not knowing which it would be.  It turned out to be neither.


Campground Campfire

The day was dry with a warm breeze and some sun, but the trail was still pretty wet from the previous day's rain.  Our feet would remain soggy for the fourth straight day.  As we hiked along, the day became beautiful.

More ponies on the trail

KJ getting close to the wildlife

We stopped for lunch at the first shelter and while we were there, Fungi came in. He had finally gotten his food bags down.  He told us the reason he had so much food was that a group of short-termers had abandoned their plans of a three day hike after getting soaked in the rain and has also abandoned their food which was a large assortment of Packit Gourmet meals.  He offered us a bunch of the meals to lighten his load and we readily agreed to take some.  


Today's plan was to do 14 miles and hike down to a campground where we hoped to get showers and have a nice spot by the creek.  We headed down and walked into the campground.  We talked to the hosts for a bit, found a nice spot next to the creek and set up.  We all took showers and did some cowboy laundry.  KJ was the only one with shampoo and he let us all us it.  The site also had a supply of wood, so we made a nice fire to enjoy as dusk settled.  

Packit Gourmet - Free dinner


We did get some sprinkles in the evening, but this had been our driest day so far.  It was very pleasant to have the soothing sounds of the babbling brook next to us as we settled into our hammocks and tent and rested for the night.  

We all made one of our Gourmet meals for dinner and they didn't disappoint, expecially since they were free.  


The Longest Day of the Push

After a good night's sleep, we were all packing up and getting ready to head out.  I was ready first and headed out as planned around 0800.  I would walk slow until the others caught up.  KJ grumbled a bit about my keeping to such a strict schedule as he dilly dallied about getting ready.  This earned him a new trail name of Dilly Dilly.  

I walked up the feeder trail and was on the AT for about five minutes when I heard a commotion to my right.  It was a yearling bear heading up the hillside.  Apparently, he was using the trial too and I had disturbed his morning walk.  He went about 40 yards up the hillside and watched me, waiting for me to move on.  Of course, I had to take a few photos and LoGear came up and got to see him too.  

Bear

Our mid day goal was to get to the next shelter for lunch and as we were on its approach trail, the light drizzle that had started turned into a downpour.  We got into the shelter wet, but not soaked, but Dilly Dilly was a little behind and was completely drenched.  


Our feet had now been wed for five days and some blisters slowed us down in the afternoon, but eventually, we finished our longest day of the Push and arrived at a busy shelter.  

Partnership Shelter is right next to the road and gets a lot of business.  Today was no exception as the shelter was full, but we found a nice spot back down the trail a ways that had some good trees and set up there.  There was a lady there with an unfriendly dog and a couple others, but we were far enough away from the shelter (almost) to not have to deal with the noise, although a guy named Rockin Rick, who thought he could sing, was there "entertaining" the shelter sleepers.  I'm not sure if he was a hiker or a yellow blazer that liked to hang out with the hikers.

Partnership Shelter

We ate dinner at the shelter table, washed up at sink behind the shelter and retired to our site away from the action.



99 Times out of A Hundred

I was awake during the night thinking about the next Push, but had a restful sleep otherwise.  The morning dawned calm and clear and we were in for a nice day to finish the push.

Fern gully

We were out early and on our way.  There was only one climb in the day and it wasn't too bad.  After lunch at a shelter, it was mostly downhill back to the vehicles.


We came to the one room schoolhouse that is a nice place to check out and full of trail magic.  We talked to the volunteers while enjoying a nice cold soda and some snacks.  I was able to replenish my wet wipes and a few other things. We gave a decent donation and continued on.

Although the trail was mostly dry today, there were still a few spots that were muddy. During a slanting downhill I would find one of those patches.  LoGear was doing some liberty turns (going fast) as she was ready to finish her hike.  Visions of daily showers and talking to her daughters were swimming in her head as she moved ahead of me.  I quickened my pace as much as I could, but she was out of sight.

Ninety nine times out of a hundred, my trekking poles have saved me from a turned ankle or a fall, today would be that one time when it wouldn't help, but would actually contribute to my injury.

As I moved down a slanted, grassy downhill, I slipped on the mud underneath.  I kicked out my right pole as I slid sideways and planted my left to try and stop the fall.  All of my weight went onto that left pole and I continued down until I flopped on my belly.  

I moaned and cursed as a hot white pain screamed from my shoulder.  I cursed a few more times as the thoughts of a finished hike went through my head.  I knew this wasn't just a simple strain.

At first, I couldn't move my arm at all.  After a few minutes, the pain subsided enough so that I could move, but I still couldn't lift my left arm.  Hefting any kind of weight was out of the question.  After a while I continued on, finding that I could still hold and use the trekking pole, but my left arm wouldn't be digging in to stop any falls any time soon.

As I finished the day and the Push, I still had thoughts that this might be the end of the hike.  I was about 99% sure I had torn something and from what I had heard, tears need surgery to become whole again.  

I got back to the cars and told LoGear of my adventure.  I tested whether or not I could heft my pack and I could even though it was a bit painful.

Dilly Dilly came along and we called the Push complete.  Those two were done.  I was continuing on.  Yep, torn shoulder or not. I was continuing on.  I had a state to finish.  


Farewells, Resupplies and Clean (sorta) Clothes

We put our gear in the vehicles and headed to Marion, just down the road and checked into the Econo Lodge. LoGear took me over to Walmart so I could get a few things including a new shirt.  My new plan is to just replace the smelly things after a while.  The one I had been wearing had a good deal of miles on it and it was time for something fresh.

LoGear wanted to get home that night, so she head out and DD an I went to the pizza place and did some laundry.

I relaxed in my bed, nursing my shoulder as DD caught up on things going on at home.  I was fully resupplied, mostly from stuff I had brought and I had also gone through LoGear food bag to top off a few things.  I would be ready to go in the morning.

Push 11 would start in the morning.  I had lost my crew.  My shoulder would be hurting, but I had miles to go before I was done.  90.3 for the next push.  317.9 more in Phase III.

Peace,
EarthTone and LoGear


No comments: