Saturday, October 13, 2018

Pamola's Quest - Push 11 - The Push to Pearisburg - Part 1

The Push to Pearisburg, VA (Push 11) - Part 1 

I continued on alone as my hiking partners headed home.  I would have the freedom to hike as only I wanted to, but I would miss the companionship that I had enjoyed for the last week.  This Push would cover 90.3 miles and take 6.2 days to complete.  

Day 393 - 14.7 miles - Knot Maul Shelter
Day 394 - 10.8 miles - Walker Gap camp
Day 395 - 17.6 miles - View to West
Day 396 - 14.8 miles - Jenny Knob Shelter
Day 397 - 14.6 miles - Wapiti Shelter
Day 398 - 15.4 miles - Spring campsite
Day 399 -  2.4 miles - Pearisburg, VA

Alone Within the Crowd

After an OK nights sleep with my shoulder waking me up from time to time, we arose, showered, ate a good breakfast and Dilly Dilly took me back to the trail.  He dropped me off and turned around as I started down the road which passes under Rt 81.  I felt a bit of emotion as I started out.  I was excited to be alone, but I knew that before too long, the solitude of being alone, would ripen into a loneliness that would be crushing from time to time.  

I took a deep breath, waved to DD as he entered the highway and started walking.  Before too long, I was walking through some grassy meadow and I was extra careful on any muddy parts I encountered.  I didn't want to fall again, (but knew I probably would), so I slowed down when I saw mud and became more deliberate in my foot placement.  

I passed some cows who gathered together across a small creek and watched me as I walked along the trail.  The day was becoming beautiful.

Curious cows

My shoulder and its pain would be a constant mention in my trail journal.  I knew that another bad fall could force me off trail, but I could move along just fine, using my trekking poles and not feeling too much pain as I walked the trail.  I would have to adjust my reaction to slipping down the road and my left trekking pole became a little less effective, but I was comfortable using two and would continue to do so.


The morning went pretty fast, with decent trail and a few other hikers along the way that I would leapfrog during the day's walk.  One group, a foursome, two male, two female, were moving along around me throughout the day.  At lunch I arrived at a bridged stream crossing where the water was almost to the top of the bridge.  I had seen videos of this crossing before and sometimes the water flows over the bridge.  

The water was at the perfect height for a foot soak, so that is exactly what I did.  As I sat there, one of the girls of the foursome came up from behind me.  She asked me if I had lost an iPod and I checked and sure enough my nano had fell out of my pocket as I took my phone out to take a photo.  It would have been a bummer to not have music for the rest of the Phase, but the trail had provided.  As I walked along later, I decided that I would reward the girl the next time I saw her with a nice cosmic brownie.  


Natures foot massage

I got to the shelter fairly early, just before 1600 and found a spot to set up.  Water was a steep climb down to a nice spring.  I hung out at the shelter for a while as other hikers came in.  Some moved on, some stayed.  My hammock was through the Rhody, out of sight from the shelter, so I brought my food bag with me when I was hanging out at the shelter. I may sleep with my food, but I know better than to leave it unattended and out of sight.

But before too long, it was time to retire to the floating bed and rest my bones, write some notes, plan the next day and sleep like the dead.  

Camping with Myself  

I was up and ready to go early after a decent night's sleep.  There was an old guy there, Turtle 77 I think, (I have lost my list of hiker trail names), who was bouncing all around the trail, going north and south, moving a vehicle up and down.  He was out nice and early heading south and would approach from the north later on.  

The morning's climb was to a popular shelter, Chestnut Knob.  It was a steady climb, but not too steep.  I didn't take a break until 1000 or so and then another just before the shelter at a water source.  The bullfrogs were croaking at a small pond that the spring fed.

The shelter is at the top of the knob in a meadow.  It is stone and has four walls and a doorway.  There were other hikers hanging out and I found the girl who had found my Ipod and gave her her reward of the cosmic brownie that I had promised myself to give her.  She seemed thankful as every hiker is out there when food is offered.  Her name was Bandito. 


Chestnut Knob Shelter

I rested for a while in the sunshine and just enjoyed the day.  My feet were hurting a bit, so I decided that I would check out a campsite that was only a mile and a half down from the knob.  
Relaxing after lunch on the knob

When I got to the bottom of the hill, I saw a car parked in a small lot with an old man inside.  As I passed I recognized trail legend, Warren Doyle.  I had met him a couple years ago when he did a presentation at the Museum.  I said hello and we talked for a while until I moved on to the campsite that was only a few hundred meters away.

The clearing was nice, an old homestead area that was being reclaimed by the forest.  It still had a good open meadow and I could see lots of old bricks and such where the house had stood.  My first choice of trees along the perimeter didn't work, but I found another that did.  The only problem was a large dead tree standing next to one of my hammock trees.  I got my bear bag line out, threw it up about 15 times until I snagged a knot high up and pulled on the line until the top rotting 15 feet or so tumbled down to the ground.  The rest felt firm enough to last the night and I continued setting up camp.  I made a nice fire in a fire ring and cleaned up with some fresh water from the spring down the old road a ways.  I had the area to myself.  It was peaceful.


Campsite all to myself

Small fire to lighten my spirits

Of course, when you are alone in the woods, you think about the things that go bump in the night, but I had a decent night's sleep, with the exception of my shoulder aching, which is becoming the new normal and was ready to go in the morning.  


A Hammock With a View

I rolled out early in the morning, ready to go.  I had no privy to take advantage of, so I found a nice spot over the hillside and did my morning business.  This was my first cathole of the Phase.  I try to avoid the extra work that they require, but it's all good out here.  You do what you have to, when you need to.

Today's plan was a little loose. I would play it by feel as I went along.  I wanted to get close to the Brushy Mountain Outpost which I had heard has some good food and maybe do some resupply, so the closer, the better.  Even though I had stopped when I needed too yesterday, I still felt that I had wasted a bit of daylight by stopping so early.  Today I would try to make up for that. 

The morning trail was pretty empty except for a couple of maintainers. At lunch I met Great Dane, a young man from Denmark who was out hiking as much trail as he could before having to return to start University.  He reminded me of Firefly, the german guy I had hiked with last year up in New England.  Great Dane was doing insane daily mileage.  I figured I would not see him again, but of course I did, down the trail a ways.

I stopped at Laurel Creek to soak my feet.  The rushing water looked so inviting.  While I was there, another hiker came in to fill his bottles and discovered he had dropped his filter.  He left his pack and headed back to find it.  I sat for awhile relaxing and he didn't return.  When I was ready to leave, I filtered some water into his bottles and left him a note.  


Feels so good

Laurel Creek

The last climb of the day was made easy with switchbacks and as I was approaching a possible campsite, two hikers passed me.  They were taking a break at the campsite, which had a nice view of the valley and mountains and we talked a bit.  They were continuing on, hoping to get to the store before it closed.  I knew I would never make it in time, so I was planning on staying there, hoping to see a nice sunset.  I found two trees and set up.

A couple hikers came by later in the day, one being the guy who had lost his filter.  He had found it and he thanked me for leaving the water.  His name was Freight Train. The other was looking for a campsite.  I told him there was room for him here, but he moved on.

I made dinner and layed in my hammock, enjoying the setting sun and realizing that this was my longest day so far this Phase.  


The view from my hammock

As darkness fell around me, I fell off to sleep, with visions of cooked food dancing in my head.  

Hot Meals and Full Batteries

After another night of enduring my shoulder pain (yes, I realize mentioning this is getting old), I was up early and on the trail. I had a pep in my step as I thought about what I wanted to eat.  

I arrived at the store and dropped my pack outside.  I ordered some breakfast and started pulling things off the shelf for resupply.  I went into the restroom for my morning routine and washed out my shirt and underwear.  I noticed that there were a lot of "do not" signs in the restroom.  "put trash in can", "don't splash water on the floor", "no refilling of water bottles", etc.  I asked the owner and he had some stories to tell.  He has only been open for less than a year and already had had to deal with lazy, sloppy, entitled hikers, hence all the signs.  It's a shame that he has to deal with unthinking hikers.

I made sure I left a clean restroom and asked if I could charge my phone and battery pack. It was all good.  I ate my breakfast and ordered another sandwich to go for lunch.

I looked at the weather and it looked like a storm was headed our way.  I relaxed a while hoping to have it pass by, but nothing really developed.  There were a few sprinkles, but nothing heavy.

I met a couple other hikers, who were trying to get into town and eventually headed out myself.  After some road walking I was back into the woods.  Of course after a while, the rain came and soon I was soaked.  I headed to a nearby shelter, to wring out and eat lunch and when I entered, there were two hikers there.  A couple.

I introduced myself and they asked if I was Coast Guard.  I said I was and the guy was retired CG and his wife was the sister of a guy I had worked with in DC. Someone had mentioned that there was another Coastie in the woods.  We talked about the things we had in common and I asked them about their hike.  Snoboat, the guy, had a tooth problem that he feared was going to pull them off the trail. Grey Goose was his wife.  They had started in GA, but were not sure how much further they were going to go with their problem.  

When the rain slowed, I headed out to finish the day.  I met another guy from Denmark and we walked along a bit until he pulled ahead.  


600 miles for most of the hikers around me, 1,330 for me.

I got to the shelter and set up.  During dinner at the table, I met someone else who knew I was from Pittsburgh.  Seems someone is talking about me out here.  They too were from Pittsburgh and were out for a section I think.  

After dinner it was off to bed, hoping that the next day would bring rain, but prepared to endure it if I had to.  You have no other choice out here.  I'm not one to hole up when the weather turns challenging.  I just try to prepare for it the best I can.


More Fun to Come

I was more than halfway through the Push and doing fine.  I still had some miles to walk and weird things to encounter, but those will be found in the next installment.  Stay tuned for Part 2 of Push 11, coming soon.

Peace,
EarthTone and LoGear


No comments: