Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Joe's Next Adventure

Well, it has been almost a month since I took my Coast Guard uniform off and started my "Retirement Vacation".  Since then I have hiked about 75 miles and am now riding my bike in preparation for my next adventure.  


Last day at work
Latest mug shot
My beard is coming in just a bit, and it is quite gray, so who knows how long I will keep it, but I will be growing it for a while I think.

My next adventure I have been thinking about for quite some time.  From time to time, Lisa and I have found ourselves on the local C & O Canal Trail.  This trail runs from Georgetown in Washington, DC all the way to Cumberland, MD.  It is full of history and is quite a nice ride.  Some of our Adventure races gave us a taste of this trail.  Also the AT runs along it for over three miles outside Harpers Ferry.

From Cumberland the Greater Allegheny Passage starts and runs through the mountains and along the Casselman and Youghiogheny rivers to McKeesport, PA and finally all the way into Pittsburgh.  The final one mile has just been completed and opened.  It is now possible for me to ride my bike from DC all the way to the house where I grew up in Bellevue, mostly in a car free environment.  

Where the GAP ends, I can pick up the Three Rivers Heritage Trail that goes all the way to the old Penitentiary on the North Side.   From there, I head through some streets and before long, I will be crossing the High Bridge into Bellevue, just a few blocks from Irwin Ave.

A couple years ago, when I started researching this trip, Lisa bought me some panniers for my bike.  They have been waiting to be used all this time and I hope to finally put them to the test.

Of course I have a plan, but it is intentionally vague as I have re-learned very recently how plans can go awry.  I have a drop off point, a route to the C & O and from there it is just pedal until you are tired, find a place to set up camp and do my thing.  Repeat until I am in Bellevue.  Rest a day or so and reverse the whole thing.  

I will be completely self contained.  I have basically taken all my backpacking gear, and moved it to the panniers and my adventure racing backpack.  I have added a few things bike centric, (like tools and tubes) and I won't be needing my trekking poles.  

My Loadout
I hope to start on Father's Day.  How far I go each day, and where I sleep along the trails is just a vague idea for now.  All adventures should be this way. I won't have this "time freedom" for very much longer, so I am trying to make the best of it.

Who knows.  Maybe someone in Pittsburgh will want to ride back with me a day or so.  It is always more fun to have companions on an adventure.   

Once again the excitement builds...



No comments: